Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My i20 is 6 years and every year I have the same problem. My

Customer Question

My i20 is 6 years and every year I have the same problem. My engine malfunction light is constiently on but when I go up a hill it shudders and the light flashes, (its an orange light looks like connection symbol). I have had a dignostics test and have have had the leads and sparks plugs changed but its still doing it. Now they are saying something about a coil? But I have no idea what to believe anymore. HELP ME!
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.
Hello If you have the error code then this would help but I'm guessing it will be a P0300 misfire code?so yes replacing the ignition coil on that cylinder is a good idea You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. As if the coil is faulty and causing the misfire, then you will see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help. This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine
Expert:  Matt replied 8 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you