Nathan B
Nathan B, NVQ 3 qualified mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience as a motor mechanic including running my own garage.
27720961

I have a Hyundai amica and every now and again when I brake

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai amica and every now and again when I brake I hear a grinding noise quite like when you crunch the gears. Now I've taken it in and had the brakes cleaned to mot standard.
However the noise persists, I've looked online and believe it to be an issue with the abs. Please can you help me further.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Welcome to ja.com.I can see you have been waiting a while to be helped so I hope I can help you with your problem.First of all though I need to ask a quick question so my answer is better sourced for you.When the car makes this noise while braking, can you feel the brake pedal pulsing slightly under foot like the pedal is bouncing slightly against your foot?I look forward to your replyThanks in advanceNathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When it makes the noise, the brake becomes unusable so I can't use the brake.
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Thanks for getting back to me.Just a couple more questions I'm afraid.When you say the braske is unusable, do you means that the pedal goes hard under foot? Also. Does it happen mainly at low speeds or just before you stop?One more thing, is it more like a mechanical buzzing crunching sound?I look forward to your replyThanksNathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes the brake goes hard under foot so I can't push the pedal down.
It happens every now and again, so I couldn't say yes or no.
And yes that would sum it up.
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi again.OK, from what you have said it does sound like a fault within abs system. Your next port of call is to get the car put on a diagnostic computer that can read the abs faults and also do live data so that you can determine which of the sensors is giving the abs module the wrong signal. Because what is happening is one the sensors is telling the module that it is going slower than the others as though it is skidding and so the abs pump kicks in to try and compensate for this.It Is more than likely the pickup ring that is at fault rather than a sensor. Once the faulty ring has been identified it can then be replaced if necessary or it may just need cleaning up.I hope this has helped you in this matter, but if you require more help on this, you can still post on this thread even if you have accepted as this does not close the question. Another thing, if you get the codes read and want help fixing it yourself you can post the codes on this thread and I will help you more.Also if you require any help in the future you can contact me on this site via my profile and I will be happy to help you again.Please rate my answer as this is how I get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated.Thank you in advanceNathan