Nathan B
Nathan B, NVQ 3 qualified mechanic
Experience:  20+ years experience as a motor mechanic including running my own garage.
27720961

HYUNDAI COUP. 2001. Having probs starting. Will start perfectly

Customer Question

hYUNDAI COUP. 2001.
Having probs starting. Will start perfectly for a while then on other occasions just turns over. Leave it for a while and will start. Had prob today and got out of car, locked and unlocked with key not fob. Got in and it started. Any Ideas please
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.Welcome to ja.com. I hope I can help you today but first I just need to ask you some questions so my answer is better sourced.1. When you put the key in the ignition and turn it to position 2 which is the position before you start the car so that all the ignition lights come on, is there either a yellow light that comes on with a picture of a car with a key in it or a green light of a key?I look forward to your replyThank you in advanceNathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Nathan
Just checked and there is no key signs when in position 2
Graham
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi GrahamThanks for replying.Will the car start at the moment while there is no key symbol lit?Thanks in advanceNathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes Ive just started it. It wouldnt start this morning and battery was getting low, so ive charged it all day and tried just. It took a couple of turn overs but started. I have turned it on and off a few times and it started each time.
Expert:  Nathan B replied 7 months ago.
Hi GrahamThank you for your reply.It could be one of a couple of things that is causing this problem for you.The first thing I would check is your crankshaft position sensor. I would get your mechanic to check that this is clean and working correctly as it could have metal shards from the engine gathered on it as it is magnetic. If your mechanic has checked this already then the only thing that it could be is the immobiliser module not recognising the key randomly. This could be down to either a low battery in the fob itself causing the chip to not be read properly by the body control module (bcm) or the bcm itself starting to fail and not always recognise the key. I would check the fob battery first. The fact that your mechanic cannot access the ECU with his diagnostic computer though could point to a fault in the bcm though. This can be caused by water ingress near the bcm and relays down by the drivers feet. So I would get him to check for water damage down there at the same time. I'm afraid Hyundai's do suffer with immobiliser faults and they can turn out quite costly. I actually used to own a 2005 Hyundai accent and I had to replace the immobiliser module on that kit doing the exact same thing as your coupe is so I know how irritating it can be.I hope this has helped youPlease remember to rate my answer as this is how I get paid and any feedback is very much appreciated. If you require any further assistance on this matter you can still post on this thread even after accepting as this doesn't close the question.Also if you require help in the future you can contact me on this site via my profile and I will be happy to help you again.Thank you in advanceNathan