indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Work on all import vehicles
29331485
Hyundai

I have an Hyundai i40 Premium Crdi 2012. I have an

intermittent fault resulting in extremely... Show More
intermittent fault resulting in extremely poor acceleration. The garage found fault code PO299 relating to the turbo. Their solution is to replace the turbo.
Given that this is intermittent, I would think it to be an electrical fault. If so could this be repaired without the huge expense of a turbo replacement?
Thanks.Richard.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Show Less
replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

indy-tech, Import tech replied 1 month ago.

Hi .

This code is normally a mechanical fault, and also a very common fault .

Have to agree with the dealer but they can confirm this with there diagnostic scan tool and check the boost sensor etc which i think they did .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, iam not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago.
Hi, That's painful news as I have been quoted a turbo replacement £1400 bill. All the more so as I have only had the car for 6 months having bought it from ***** *****. The problem showed up then but they couldn't detect a problem so it went to a Hyundai dealer for better diagnostics. They replaced an EGR valve based on DTC PO404 EGR range, PO406 EGR circuit HIG EGR valve seized requires new EGR valve. ***** ***** picked up that bill of £787.
Unless this is still the same problem from my purchase date, I'm stuffed!

Hard to say Richard if you can prove you had the P0299 code then yes you have a fighting chance .

If you are not under warranty find a good independent shop that works on Hyundai / Kai or Mitsubishi car

and have them check it and replace the turbo as the turbo you can get on Ebay for far less .

labour is only a two hrs .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago.
Hi Greg, It's the intermittent bit that puzzles me. It happens so infrequently that I thought it unlikely to be mechanical and more likely to engine management systems.
If the Turbo is replaced are there engine management components changed with it ?

Code P0299 Means there is a problem with the boost pressure control, the boost pressure is too low.

Thus, it comes to power loss.

Symptoms are also the flashing check engine light .

Unfortunately, this can have many causes.
The cause could be secondary air, so check the hoses between turbo, intercooler and engine.

Check for small crack in the turbo hose, which can not be seen visually, but is noticeable by whistling and loss of power.

Check hoses and pipes sit properly and are nice and tight .

In addition, check the air filter, air mass meter and the boost pressure sensor for damage, soiling or faulty cabling.

In most cases, this error code is also set when there is a mechanical problem with the turbocharger or the exhaust system is affected by deposits.

If the Turbo has the control module on the side then it could be the complete unit .

Rgds Greg