Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Dear Sir/Madam, I want to apply for British naturalisation.

Dear Sir/Madam,
I want to apply for British naturalisation. But i got a traffic offence LC20 in february 2010 and licence endorsed with 3 penalty point and £175 fine. Can i be able to be naturalised now or do i need to wait until 4years
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

If this was a fixed penalty notice WITHOUT a Court hearing then you do not have to disclose it to UKBA.

However, if there WAS a Court hearing and you decide to make your application now then you MUST disclose the conviction.

A fine is spent after 5 years. Therefore, if it was imposed in Feb 2010 it will be spent in Feb 2015. Once it is spent you no longer have to disclose the conviction.

The 4 year rule that you mentioned is when points & endorsements are 'removed' from the paper part of your driving licence.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think then if i forward my papers for naturalisation if this will cause any trouble? If so do i need to wait until after 5years before applying. I fear i may loose the money if i forward my papers at the moment.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
The offence is now nearly 3 years old.

It is a driving matter of a relatively minor nature.

So long as you explain the situation and have no other criminal convictions this should be fine.

I think it is worth going ahead with the application now.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes