UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I don't know how to begin, by the way? I would like to ask

Customer Question

Hi, I don't know how to begin, by the way ? I would like to ask your help. it was because my situation for an application of immigration is a bit different from others.
I'm from Hong Kong, and have become a Permanent Resident status in a year of 192, snice I have not applied to become a citizen then, and I have been to England here for nearly 25 years. But it made a situation even worse is that Hong Kong then went back to China, and I now didn't have both passports. If I now like to apply for a.British passport . What kind of procedure I have to do? Should I take an enlish Test , and apply for a ''Natrualization'' status??
Looking forward for your reply.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
How old are you please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I was born on 1964 (49 yrs old). I can add on some information about my status here, I came to England for study in 1983. After my 10 years study, I went to Home Office to get a Permanent Risident stutus. I understand that I can apply a passport after one year of becoming P.R., but I somehow didn't go and apply. So now I need to go home for my mother's illness, so that s why I have to get a passport soon and fast.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will you please advice me that for how long I will get the answer??

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I have been in Court today but will send you a detailed answer this evening. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Im still waitng your answer?? And I have a problem to fill it up the feeback I have received. Am I missing something, and it is because I have not got any answer from you, so that I don't know how to FEEDBACK to you

Please looking forward to hearing from you, or else I will open my answer to someelse again.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
I'm very sorry but I have had to opt due to technical difficulties. Another expert will help you. Please bear with us.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
''I'm very sorry but I have had to opt due to technical difficulties. Another expert will help you. Please bear with us. ''
If this is a GOOD answer responded from this expert, I would like to refund.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any current passport?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The problem I m having is that I dont have any current passport from both HK and England. Since Hong Kong went back to China in 1997 after seprating from a colony of British Government, and It means my then HK passort was invalid..

Ido believe I have no problem to apply a British passport here, I just dont know HOW to apply with taking an English Test though.

You need to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen first and if successful, you can then apply for a British passport.
See here for the form you need to submit and the fee you need to pay:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/
As soon as you receive your naturalisation certificate, you can apply for a British passport.
Unfortunately the process will take a few months.
Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear UKSolicitorJA,

Your answer is excellent .......

This is enough information for me to apply.

As far as I said if I like to a quick document (not neccessory a Passport) to let me back to HK to see my mother's health??!!

Please leave feedback.
To address your immediate worry, you can apply for a Britsh passport, see here :
https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/passports
All the best