UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My Son began a relationship on-line with a girl in North

Customer Question

My Son began a relationship on-line with a girl in North Carolina U.S.A. over 2 years ago. My Son spent 3 months with her in her home & she returned with him & spent 6 months with him & our family.Her family life is unstable & her father has been abusive & violent towards her. My Son & his girlfriend do not want to marry at the moment but feel the Visa process is forcing this issue. My Son & all our family are very concerned for the girls welfare as her father is moving in May & says she will not be welcome in their new home. She has nowhere to go. No-one to help her there. Unfortunately, my Son is unemployed & has health problems & so cannot meet the £18,600 income specified as a requirement for the fiancee visa. The situation with his girlfriend is affecting all our family circle as we are very found of her & are willing to support her & offer her a home & a loving family. Please, please advise what can we do to have her stay here permanently with our family & my Son. He loves her & this is making him ill as he feels so helpless.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

I am afraid the £18,600 minimum income requirement must be met unless your son is in receipt of carer's allowance or any of the following benefits:

Disability Living Allowance.
Severe Disablement Allowance.
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit;

Attendance allowance.

If your son is not in receipt of the above allowances/benefits, I am afraid promises of support from the family will not help.

The other option is for the girlfriend to visit the UK for up to 6 months in a year and your son to visit her in the US, until they can find a proper job and meet the income required for the UK visa application.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback