UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

is my sister a member of my family if she is financially dependent

Customer Question

is my sister a member of my family if she is financially dependent on me? (we both are adults over 18yo), i.e. can my sister be categorised as a family member (dependant ascendant)? many thanks.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Yes, your sister may be deemed to be a member of your household if she is dependent on you although generally, sisters who are not dependent do not have the automatic right to live in the UK as such.

She must be wholly or mainly financially dependent on you to meet her essential needs and reasons should be given why this is so even though she is an adult.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my question does not relate to UK. My sister lives in the other country from me and I am basically sponsoring the whole family, i.e. parents + sister. I was sponsoring their application for Schengen visa. For family members of EU citizens (which I am, I am a British citizen, which is part of the EU) the procedure of obtaining visa is simpler. Hence, I am trying to make sure that sister would qualify as a family member, "dependent ascendant" in particular. many thanks

The same applies, she is considered a family member as she is dependant on you.