Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have lived in the UK since 1990 (ON and OFF) I have an ILR

Customer Question

I have lived in the UK since 1990 (ON and OFF) I have an ILR , I am Married to a British national and have two british Children. DO I QUALIFY for British Citizenship?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

You would have to apply for naturalisation to naturalise as UK citizen and thereafter apply for a UK passport.

If you have held ILR for 12 months or more and are married to a UK citizen then you can apply for naturalisation provided that you meet the eligibility criteria on the following page:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen/

Most applicants fail because they do not meet the residential criteria in terms of days outside the UK. Your application will be rejected if you have spent too many days outside the UK in the 3 years preceding the date of your application and so you should pay particular attention to this.

If you do meet all the criteria then you can certainly apply for naturasliation and become a UK citizen though.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom