UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have got Indefinite leave to Enter the Uk which was issued

Customer Question

I have Indefinite Leave to Enter The UK which was issued in Pakistan in Feb 2011 . The same month I arrived in the UK. My visa expires in Feb 2015 ( the same date my Passport expires) . My 3 years will complete in Feb 2014 . When would I be able to apply for Naturalization ? I am not claiming any benefits,neither I have got any criminal conviction.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Indefinite leave to enter is usually tied to your passport expiry date, it does not mean that your indefinite leave expires in Feb. 2015.

If you are married to a British Citizen, you may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen as soon as you have been here for 3 years, if you are not married to a British Citizen, you may apply after 5 years.

The clock starts ticking as soon as you enter the UK i.e. in your case from Feb. 2011 when you first came here on your ILE visa.

Hope this helps-please leave feedback
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I do consider what you said but before consulting you i consulted another lawyer . According to him I can apply as he talked over the phone with Ukba as he was not sure . I am not denying what you said. As per i am told that in 2012 they changed it from 3 to 5 years either you are married to some one or not . But some one who came earlier than 2012 he can apply after completing 3 years . if you could please have a look at my case again and help me out . I would really appreciate it.

I am afraid you have been misadvised.

It is 3 years if you are married to a British Citizen, see here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/naturalisation/spouseorcivilpartnerofcitizen/

Please leave feedback as your query has been answered.