Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

my husband came on 25august 2011 and will expire on 2 November

Customer Question

my husband came on 25august 2011 and will expire on 2 November 2013. when should he apply for ILR?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

If your husband has obtained a spouse visa on the basis that you are either a united kingdom citizen or a foreign national holding indefinite leave to remain then he should be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain shortly.

Applicants on spouse visas who applied for their visa on or before 8th july 2012 have their applications for indefinite leave to remain jobs on the old criteria. This means that your husband only has to remain in the uk for a period of 2 years before applying for indefinite leave to remain, this is different for people who applied after the eighth of july 2012 because they must wait 5 years from the date they entered the UK. Your husband is in quite an advantageous position because of this.

Your will see that this is confirmed on the united kingdom border agency website:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/before9july/

Therefore, your husband will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain 2 years after the date he arrived in the united kingdom provided that he has not spent much time outside the united kingdom within the two years.. His visa should have been granted for 2 years and possibly a couple of extra months so that he could come here swiftly and then apply in 2 years for indefinite leave to remain without having to apply for an extension.

Good news, then.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regard

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I would be grateful if you would please rate my answer as okay service or above, I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question unless you do.

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Please rate my answer.

If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Tom