Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hi there, what info does the us immigration see when they scan

Customer Question

Hi there, what info does the us immigration see when they scan your passports and take your fingerprints . Do they have open access to all uk police records
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.

If you are talking about when you enter the US then they will have a record of the usual biometric data by scanning the passport but they do not have open access to UK police records. They are simply establishing identity.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, how would the us immigration find out that I have a police caution, and do I need to mention it when filling out the esta form
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
A caution assumes admission of guilt and can form part of your record. You would not expect me to say anything other than you should answer questions honestly on applications.

The only way they would usually find out about a police caution might be if you applied for a visa (not esta) and a CRB check was required.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When they take my fingerprints via the biometrics scanners would they have my fingerprints on file from my caution. Do us immigration have full and direct access to uk pnc records
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
When they take fingerprints they are simply confirming identity in case those fingerprints are already on file from another port of entry - in other words, if you had been refused entry before under a different identity then the fingerprints would show this. They are only checking against their own records though - we are not quite at the stage of them being able to take fingerprints and instantly checking the police records of another nation as a matter of standard procedure!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So basically they will only find out about my caution if I tell them when I get to the stage of filling out an seat form. Not that I would lie, but if I did on the esta form and they do their checks etc and it comes back approved what additional measures have the immigration officers in America have to find out about my caution
Expert:  Howard replied 4 years ago.
Unless you give them reason to think you need to be checked then they are not going to find out as part of their standard procedure.