Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have completed my British naturalisation form ready for submission

Customer Question

I have completed my British naturalisation form ready for submission but l cannot remember my indefinite leave to remain home office reference no pls help. I got the indefinite leave to remain in June 2008 that is for me and my children. my name isXXXXX john.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ruth,

Do you have the letter which was sent to you when you received your ILR?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately l don't have it. If this works out positive can me and my children use the same ref. no on our completed forms?
Thanks,
Ruth.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ruth,

Do you have any correspondence at all from an of the ILR applications for you or your daughters?

What about any correspondence from earlier applications?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom,
I can't lay hands on any of these paper work that is l am seeking for help.
Ruth.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ruth,

I am really sorry but I have been called in to a meeting. It should last about an hour, I will be able to respond at 11am.

Alternatively, you can opt me out so that another expert can answer.

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom
I really do appreciate your assistance. Pls just let me know if this can be sorted out or not. How can I opt you out and look for another expert. If you refer me to one that will continue where you stopped, that is fine.
Thanks,
Ruth.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Ideally, you would have kept the correspondence from your previous applications and your ILR application for you and your children. I would certainly adopt this policy now for any correspondence that you receive because you never know when it might come in useful.

In the circumstances, if you do not have any previous correspondence, I would leave it blank. You will see under the guidance notes for complete form AN that it states at page 4:-
“1.1 Enter your Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference number if you have one”
See here:- http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

So, you should simply state that you have left it blank because you have not retained the correspondence listing it.

In actual fact, if you have applied for previous visas and ILR quite often you will have a number of different reference numbers.

I would explain in a covering letter why you have left it blank and that the UKBA will have records of your previous applications and so they should consult their records for the appropriate reference.

It is required so that the UKBA can quickly refer to their records by searching against the reference number, rather than actually being an essential part of the eligibility criteria, so you should be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tom,
Is your final advice saying l should leave the space vacant? The thing is that l do not want to forward this application form and for it to be sent back or I loose my money because of that.
Thanks,
Ruth.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ruth,

I don't think that they would reject the application because of this. It is not a part of the eligiblity criteria. It is used for their reference purposes only.

You can attempt to write to them if you like asking for a copy of the reference numbers that they have for you and your children, but in my experience it will take probably about two months fo them to reply.

If you are willing and able to wait until they have responded then you can write to them.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to RATE my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom