UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

hi i got my british citizenship oathtaking ceremony last oct

Customer Question

hi i got my british citizenship oathtaking ceremony last oct 16.i was due to go on vacation leave on nov 9.my question is can i still use my philippine passport with indefinite leave to remain Id stamp on it.because i can not cancel my plane ticket already.if i will apply for my british passport it will be late already.what i will gonna do pls help me
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

When you become a British Citizen you do not need to give up your Filipino Citizenship.

This means that you can still have Filipino citizenship with British citizenship.

This is called dual nationality.

But you need to check with the Filipino Embassy in London to make sure your passport is still valid.

If your passport is valid then there is no harm travelling on your Filipino passport until you acquire a British passport.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MY PASSPORT IS STILL VALID WITH EXPIRY DATE OF SEPT 2016 AND THE INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN STAMP ON MY PASSPORT IS VALID UNTIL 2020. SO IT MEANS I CAN STILL TRAVEL USING FILIPINO PASSPORT WHILS WAITING FOR MY BRITISH PASSPORT.THANKS.PLS REPLY AGAIN

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Yes the passport is valid for travel.

But you must check with the Philippines Embassy to make sure you can have dual nationality.

Here is their contact details:

http://philembassy-uk.org/contact

I recommend you call them tomorrow morning to make sure this will not be a problem for you.

This is their telephone number: 0207(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I DONT HAVE A DUAL NATIONALITY YET I JUST HAD MY OATH TAKING LAST OCT 16 ,I CAN NOT CANCEL MY PLANE TICKET BEC ITS NON REFUNDABLE BUT MY PHIL PASSPORT IS STILL VALID WITH INDEFINITE LEAVE TO REMAIN ON IT.I'M I ALLOWED TO USE THAT STILL OR NEED THE BRITISH PASSPORT ALREADY.IT WILL TAKE 6 WEEKS TO APPLY FOR DUAL NATIONALITY

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks for clarifying.

You do NOT need to use a British Passport.

You can travel on your Philippines Passport.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how sure of you that i can travel with my philippine passport,i did not apply yet for my british passport because i can not get it on time,pls let me know asap.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
We are going round in circles so I'm going to opt out.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi im not satisfy with answer.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am an Immigration Solicitor and will assist you.

Legally speaking, as soon as you take the British Citizenship oath, you become a British Citizen and your indefinite leave to remain status becomes invalid as British Citizens are not subject to any immigration control in the UK and ILR holders are subject to UK immigration control.

However, and I speak from personal experience, from a practical point, you will not have any problem travelling out of the UK on your Filipino passport with ILR visa in the passport, you will also not have any problem coming back to the UK with your Filipino passport and ILR visa.

If asked at the UK border, you should explain that you need to travel urgently and that you have not yet applied for a British passport. It would be helpful if you carry your original or a copy of your Certificate of Naturalisation as a British Citizen to show at the UK Border if necessary.

So, to answer your query, yes, you may use your Filipino passport with your ILR visa inside it.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback

.