UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am currently a semi-retired

Customer Question

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am currently a semi-retired woman with American citizenship. Have spent many hours online trying to find the proper application to extend my stay/acquire dual citizenship/change citizenship to UK. It is too complicated to sort through as many of the requirements seem contradictory. Have long wished to make England my home, and now would like to do what is necessary to achieve that goal. Though not wealthy enough to qualify as 'retired' I am able to live comfortably for some time without employment, although an income would be quite handy. Have met someone with whom I would like to remain my partner/husband but do not wish to rush into this type of relationship merely to acquire an extension. Truly don't seem to fit into an ideal category, and seek some professional direction. Thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX will assist you.

How long have you resided in England for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

After spending 6 months in France in culinary training, I moved into a flat with my partner here in England (my name is XXXXX XXXXX lease and there are a few bills with my name on them) on 12 July - landed on British soil on 5 July, 2013.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

I assume that you are currently in the UK as a visitor i.e. you were issued a 6 months entry to the UK in July 2013 and your entry visa will be expiring shortly.

I would advise you to leave the UK as you cannot extend your stay in the UK whilst here as a Visitor, you should not overstay your visa as that will be a criminal offence and make any future applications for a UK visa/citizenship difficult.

As you do not qualify for UK citizenship yet (unless your parents were born in the UK etc.) and as you do not yet wish to enter into a marriage or relationship with a UK citizen, I suggest you consider studying or working in the UK, further details here:

You would need to make any application from the US if you were living there before your trip to Europe.

Hope this helps -please leave feedback and we can discuss further if need be for free.