How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am currently a semi-retired

Customer Question

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am currently a semi-retired woman with American citizenship. Have spent many hours online trying to find the proper application to extend my stay/acquire dual citizenship/change citizenship to UK. It is too complicated to sort through as many of the requirements seem contradictory. Have long wished to make England my home, and now would like to do what is necessary to achieve that goal. Though not wealthy enough to qualify as 'retired' I am able to live comfortably for some time without employment, although an income would be quite handy. Have met someone with whom I would like to remain my partner/husband but do not wish to rush into this type of relationship merely to acquire an extension. Truly don't seem to fit into an ideal category, and seek some professional direction. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX will assist you.

How long have you resided in England for?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Alex,

After spending 6 months in France in culinary training, I moved into a flat with my partner here in England (my name is XXXXX XXXXX lease and there are a few bills with my name on them) on 12 July - landed on British soil on 5 July, 2013.


Thank you.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I assume that you are currently in the UK as a visitor i.e. you were issued a 6 months entry to the UK in July 2013 and your entry visa will be expiring shortly.

I would advise you to leave the UK as you cannot extend your stay in the UK whilst here as a Visitor, you should not overstay your visa as that will be a criminal offence and make any future applications for a UK visa/citizenship difficult.

As you do not qualify for UK citizenship yet (unless your parents were born in the UK etc.) and as you do not yet wish to enter into a marriage or relationship with a UK citizen, I suggest you consider studying or working in the UK, further details here:

You would need to make any application from the US if you were living there before your trip to Europe.

Hope this helps -please leave feedback and we can discuss further if need be for free.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions