UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I am of Greek nationality and UK resident for the last

Customer Question

Hello, I am of Greek nationality and UK resident for the last 16 years. I invited an Argentinian friend and sponsored her to visit me. Although she had a written invite from me with all my details, copy of my passport, address, etc and although I talked to the immigration ( they kept her for 8 hrs and questioned her many times) they refused entry. They did not like the fact that I only know her from social networking, found it weird that I spent that money for the ticket and in the end they said she lied ( after 8 hrs of questioning I can admit I am the pink fairy). I asked the woman of the immigration office why can we not get a yes or no beforehand so it is less hassle for everyone? She said we can, we can get clearance but they can still stop her or refuse!!!! What options do I have?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to hear about this. Argentinian nationals do not require a visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months normally, but the UK immigration officers have the power to deny them entry at the UK border if they feel that the person is not a genuine visitor, and it seems that your friend was not seen as a bona fide visitor.

The best thing would now be for your friend to apply for a UK visit visa from Argentina, assuming she lives there, if the visa is issued, your friend should be fine to visit the. UK.

Information on applying for the visa in Argentina appears here: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/argentina/?langname=Spanish

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok....ish! Like the woman said even if she gets clearance they can still stop her and send her back...so we are dealing with a visa for a visitor that doesn't need a visa and a clearance that is not a final clearance..I am confused and last thing I want is to throw away more money and torture myself and my friend. Honestly don't know what to do.. Thanks anyway.

Unfortunately the immigration officers have discretion.

I strongly advise her to apply for a visitor visa even if she doesn't need one, the chances are very slim of her not being allowed into the UK if she manages to obtain a visa.

All the best