Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

civil

making application for permanent residence. got civil judgement for debt six year ago. after which the debt has been paid. and there was civil judgement of child support to husband, also paid as ordered. Should they be mentioned in the application, having in mind that they are more than five years ago?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
It is important to remember that the form asks if you have any convictions/judgements - it does not ask if you have any in the last 5 years.

You should disclose your history of judgements - if they are considered spent then they should not be a reason for refusal but non-disclosure can be a reason for refusal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By 'spent' I should understand....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do i understand 'spent' in this context?

Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.

This refers to the period after which a judgement is 'wiped from the system'. In the case of a court judgement, for example, it would often be the case that after 5 years the conviction is considered 'spent' and cannot count against you.

Civil judgements are not of particular concern and especially where they are from over 5 years ago, so you do not have anything to worry about but I always recommend full disclosure.

So, the answer to your question is that I recommend disclosure but this should not count against you.