UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Is it true that the low has changed again, if an immigrant

Customer Question

Is it true that the low has changed again, if an immigrant has been in UK over 10 years he can apply for his own british passport or visa to remain as long as this person has not left uk for 6 months at least? Last year I believe it was increased for 20 years but now with this news I m not sure/ Can you please let me know 100% please?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If someone has spent 10 years lawfully and continously in the UK, that person is eligible for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. So the person must have had visas or residence permits covering the 10 year period in the UK.

The applicant then needs to wait for 1 year after receiving ILR to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen.

See this official Government document for more information: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/modernised/other-categories/long-residence.pdf?view=Binary

If the person has been in the UK without a visa or residence permit i.e. unlawfully, he/she may qualify for settlement after being in the UK for 20 years.

Hope this helps