Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hi, I believe it is possible for someone come to the UK on

Hi, I believe it is possible for someone come to the UK on a visitor visa and then go home to apply for a spouse visa.

I believe you can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months in any 12 month period so my question is if they came on a visitor visa and then went home to apply for the spouse visa then

1: How long does it take to get the spouse visa?
2: Once the spouse visa is approved would they be able to come back into the UK before the 12 months period?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
It is possible.

1. The processing time depends on where they are applying and if a priority service is available in that country. It can take anywhere from a week to a few months.

2. Yes. The guide you refer to is related to time spent in the UK as a visitor. Coming back with a different visa is a different situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She will be applying for a visitor visa from Brazil.

So what you are saying is that she can come on a 6 month visitor visa, then go back home and apply for a Spouse visa and in theory be back in the UK again in a few months?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a link or proof of this that I can see?
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
It is very basic - you are quoting 'rules' about the time you can spend in the UK with a visitor visa. A Spouse visa has no relevance to rules for a visitor visa. It is that simple.