Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am a Saudi Arabian female, 25. I want to seek asylum, as

Customer Question

I am a Saudi Arabian female, 25. I want to seek asylum, as my country will persecute me for not following or practising the Islamic religion. If I escaped my home my punishment will be 6month in jail and 80 lashes. Do I have any chance to be accepted?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you presently in Saudi? Or UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in Saudi right now, and I was in the UK for almost 3 years where I studied for my MA degree in Brighton university.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, if anyone found out that i am not practising islam anymore then the punishment will be a death sentence. I am living in fear and hypocrisy, I have to act and perform islamic practices everyday to prevent my conservative muslim family from knowing anything.

I have money which I inherited from my deceased father, which allows me to live without asking for any benefits. all I want is security ..

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mai

There is no automatic right to asylum. The UK grants asylum under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. To be recognised as a refugee, you must have left your country and be unable to go back because you have a well-founded fear of persecution because of your:

race;
religion;
nationality;
political opinion; or
membership of a particular social group

You must apply for asylum when you enter the UK. You must do so either immediately at the port of entry or to an immigration screening centre. The sooner you lodge your claim the better your chances will be.

However, there will be a number of questions about this issue such as (1) why did you return to SA rather than claim asylum when you were in the UK? (2) whether you are attempting to re-enter for some other reason than asylum.

I understand that 20% of applications (e.g. 1 in 5) are granted by the UK immigration authorities, so be successful you really must be able to show a high degree of the risk of persecution. This fear must be "well founded". If your asylum claim fails you could make an application based on human rights e.g. right to private and family life. However, as you've not been in the UK for a particularly long time this application is unlikely to succeed.

I hope this helps you to understand the position a little better.