How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I am a Saudi Arabian female, 25. I want to seek asylum, as

Customer Question

I am a Saudi Arabian female, 25. I want to seek asylum, as my country will persecute me for not following or practising the Islamic religion. If I escaped my home my punishment will be 6month in jail and 80 lashes. Do I have any chance to be accepted?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you presently in Saudi? Or UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in Saudi right now, and I was in the UK for almost 3 years where I studied for my MA degree in Brighton university.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, if anyone found out that i am not practising islam anymore then the punishment will be a death sentence. I am living in fear and hypocrisy, I have to act and perform islamic practices everyday to prevent my conservative muslim family from knowing anything.


I have money which I inherited from my deceased father, which allows me to live without asking for any benefits. all I want is security ..

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello Mai

There is no automatic right to asylum. The UK grants asylum under the 1951 United Nations Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees. To be recognised as a refugee, you must have left your country and be unable to go back because you have a well-founded fear of persecution because of your:

political opinion; or
membership of a particular social group

You must apply for asylum when you enter the UK. You must do so either immediately at the port of entry or to an immigration screening centre. The sooner you lodge your claim the better your chances will be.

However, there will be a number of questions about this issue such as (1) why did you return to SA rather than claim asylum when you were in the UK? (2) whether you are attempting to re-enter for some other reason than asylum.

I understand that 20% of applications (e.g. 1 in 5) are granted by the UK immigration authorities, so be successful you really must be able to show a high degree of the risk of persecution. This fear must be "well founded". If your asylum claim fails you could make an application based on human rights e.g. right to private and family life. However, as you've not been in the UK for a particularly long time this application is unlikely to succeed.

I hope this helps you to understand the position a little better.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions