UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am an Australian citizen, who entered UK in 1976 under a

Customer Question

I am an Australian citizen, who entered UK in 1976 under a Patriality certificate or letter.
I have since entered/re-entered numerous times with this but I understand the Right of Abode has replaced this permission to remain in the UK. I am the daughter of a UK citizen (mother, deceased) and have been married to an Englishman for over 47 years.
To continue with my resident status, do I have to apply all over again from scratch or can the Patriality transfer 'automatically' to Right of Abode ?

As I wish to travel in March, would such a process take a long time?

Mrs June Wheatcroft
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You should apply for a new certificate of entitlement to the Right of Abode in your current passport to make it easier for you to travel to the UK.

For this, you will have to make an application using form ROA and send supporting documents to prove your claim, see here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/right-of-abode/certificate-entitlement/

As the process will very likely not be completed by March 2014, I would suggest that you apply after you have returned back to the UK after your trip. You will not have a problem coming back to the UK and it will not affect your residency status in the UK.

Hope this helps