UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have an Australian passport.; I entered UK in 1976 on a

Customer Question

I have an Australian passport.;
I entered UK in 1976 on a Patriality stamp in my passport as I was the daughter of an English person. I also have been married to an Englishman for over 47 years.
Now - what do I have to do to obtain a Right of Abode stamp in my passport instead of waving my Patriality letter with ways I am "free from Immigration control and free to reside in the United Kingdom' etc etc.
What do I do next and to whom?
How long will it take approximately as I plan to travel in middle of March 2014.
I await your answer.
June Wheatcroft (Mrs)
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You should apply for a new certificate of entitlement to the Right of Abode in your current passport to make it easier for you to travel to the UK.

For this, you will have to make an application using form ROA and send supporting documents to prove your claim, see here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/right-of-abode/certificate-entitlement/

The fee for this is GBP170.

As the process will very likely not be completed by March 2014, I would suggest that you apply after you have returned back to the UK after your trip. You will not have a problem coming back to the UK and it will not affect your residency status in the UK.

Hope this helps