Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

A friend of mine has been told that he is offered a job his

A friend of mine has been told that he is offered a job his visa application will not be supported by the HR department. Surely a job offer is reason to support a visa application?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that there is no legal requirement for a job offer to also include an offer of sponsorship for a visa (I presume Tier 2 General). There is no statute which automatically requires the employer to also offer to sponsor simply by virtue of having offered the job to a person.

It is therefore entirely up to the company as to whether or not to offer to sponsor him.

If they are not minded to and your friend does not have any other visa options then he may consider offering to pay the costs of a solicitor acting on behalf of the company to prepare the application on their behalf to sponsor your friend and become a licensed sponsor of tier 2 migrants.

If they do not accept then there is nothing your friend can do to compel them to sponsor him unfortunately.

Please remember to rate my answer according to it's accuracy.

Kind regards,

Tom