UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I was born in Mauritius in 1981 and adopted by my aunt a british

I was born in Mauritius in 1981 and adopted by my aunt a british citizen in 1993, the adoption was in front of a judge in Mauritius and I have proof of the certificate issued by the Mauritian authorities and the document as legal, I joined my adoptive mother in 1999 in the uk but arrived on a student visa which ran out in 2002 so I renewed it again as a student visa and was given another year as by then me and my adoptive mum never spoke and I have also found out she never registered me or made the authorities know about me, I do not know where I stand, i have a normal life here, have friends, a job and I would say I consider myself british pls help

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

An adoption order made in Mauritius is recognised by the UK courts and your adoptive parent should have applied to register you as a British citizen when you were still under 18.

You may still be registered as a British citizen by the Home Office exercising their discretion. It will be a complex application as you are now an adult and I would suggest that you contact Philip Gamble who is a UK nationality expert who should be able to provide further assistance to you.
http://www.philipgamble.co.uk

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

okay I understand however I arrived before the age of 18, I was 17 when I entered the uk, does that not count for anything

It should count in your favour as you arrived here when you were a child.

All the best