UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

To whom it may concern, My wife and I are currently in

To whom it may concern,

My wife and I are currently in the UK on her Ancestral Visa. We have been here since April 2011. I have been employed since May 2011, but my wife has been unable to find employment except for the occasional temp job (although she has a post graduate degree).

We are worried that we will not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain if she does not have a job by April this year (as she apparently is required to have been employed for the last 24 months before applying and prove that she has been paying tax and National Insurance).

We will apparently have to apply on her Visa and I will be doing so as her spouse. My question is whether or not this is true, or whether me having a job would be acceptable.

Yours sincerely, XXXXX
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The application is based on your wife working or genuinely seeking work, not on you working.

As long as your wife has been genuinely seeking work and can explain what efforts she has taken to seek work, she should be fine and Indefinite leave to remain should be granted.

E.g. Registration with employment agencies, interview letters, application letters etc.

The fact that you are working and can support her and yourself should also count in favour of the application.

See this internal Government guidance http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/modernised/working/outside-pbs/uk-ancestry.pdf?view=Binary

All the best