UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

my customer entered into a contract for phone calls and broadband;

my customer entered into a contract for phone calls and broadband; he changed to my supplier in November but the old supplier will not close the contract they say it is for 2 years as i understand it for a Sole Trader there is a 18 month limit. i need to quote the exact regulations which apply i believe it is CCA 1974 but don't know which section or the right words to tell old provider.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid that broadband agreements are not covered by the 18 months rule in the CCA 1974 and as such, your customer would be liable for the remaining months fees if they terminated the agreement before the fixed term comes to an end.

The18 months rule in the CCA 1974 applies to agreements for the hiring of goods, broadband is a service, not goods.

See here for further information http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/brent&harrow/con1item.cgi?file=*ADV0022-1011.txt

Sorry, I could not give you better news.