Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I am a New Zealand citizen applying for a visa to stay in Britain

I am a New Zealand citizen applying for a visa to stay in Britain under the right of abode.Where do I send the completed form ROA and how much is it?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

A right of above is a bit different to a visa, it means that you have the right to live and work in the UK without immigration time restrictions. With a visa, you still have immigration time restrictions (ie. the time restriction is the length of the visa).

I assume that you are not entitled to a right of abode either via one of your parents having been born in the UK and being a citizen of the UK and the colonies OR by virtue of marriage to someone who has a right of abode.

On this basis you would have to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement. You will see from the following link that you must do this online if you are presently outside the UK:-
https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply-for-a-certificate-of-entitlement
Please refer to the heading titled “Apply outside the UK” for confirmation. You will see that the application for is also available from the above link.

Form ROA is only appropriate if you are making the application from within the UK.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have right to abode through my mother and have had visas since 1974. I asked you where to send completed form ROA and the cost.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Okay.

If you are certain ROA is applicable to your circumstances then you must apply online and pay the £170 fee.

You will see this confirmed, together with the link to how you can apply online under the heading "Apply in the UK" here:-

Kind regards,

Tom