Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I was born in England in 1957 and lived there until age six.

I was born in England in 1957 and lived there until age six. My parents then moved us to Australia, and then Canada. If I wanted to retire in England (I haven't lived there since childhood), would I have any rights to any kind of benefit? Pension, medical etc.?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Havr
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dont understand, all your request says is

"Hi

Thanks for your question.

Havr"

nothing else in the message.....

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, something strange happened when I posted my reply.

I meant: Have you obtained a UK passport already?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had several UK passports over my lifetime, but currently only

carry my Canadian one. I became a Canadian citizen (dual citizenship) when I turned 18. I was thinking about getting the UK one again.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Because you were born in the UK before 1983 you qualify for a UK passport. Therefore, you should have no trouble either applying for a passport for the first time or getting a further passport if you have already had one provided that you are able to prove your birth in the UK at your date of birth.

You would not qualify for a state pension because you need a number of qualifying years in which you have made national insurance contributions. Because you have not made any national insurance contributions you would not be able to claim a state pension.

Most other benefits are based on whether or not you a ordinarily resident in the UK. This basically means that if you can prove you are living permanently in the UK then you will receive the benefit. Once you have lived in the UK for 6 months you should have no trouble proving this.

Once you have lived in the UK for a period of time you would be eligible for the normal benefits that UK citizens get. So, you would be eligible for NHS treatment and housing benefit. Until this time you should obtain medical insurance until you qualify.

Kind regards,

Tom

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Tom