UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Im wishing to get a divorce from a foreign national. Can I

I'm wishing to get a divorce from a foreign national. Can I do this from Northern Ireland or must I return to the Country in which I got married? Would I be entitled to Legal Aid?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you may get divorced in NI if you are domiciled in NI and you are eligible to get legal aid for divorce if you qualify for it financially.

I would suggest that you approach a solciitor locally who provides legal aid services as they can advise you if you qualify or not.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this even if my estranged Wife is still residing in Germany? I have been back in N.I. for about the last 20 months.

Yes. Still possible.

You can serve her papers in Germany from N.I.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
HiI am afraid that legal Aid is no longer available for divorce and you will have to either deal with the matter yourself or pay a solicitor to do soYou will have had to be back in the UK for at least six months before your issue your petition and need to have been married for at least two yearsYour main problem will be proving that she has seen the paperwork and with that in mind you should arrange for her to be served personally in GermanyYou can read more herehttp://www.nidirect.gov.uk/getting-a-divorce-dissolution-of-civil-partnershipClare