Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

I have a job offer for a position Quantity Surveyor in Aberdeenshire,

I have a job offer for a position Quantity Surveyor in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, salary £40, 000 per anum from a company with a sponsor licence. They have done the resident labour test. I am from Zimbabwe, here with my two children on a tier 4 visa and want to switch to a tier 2 visa before completing my course. I started a one year master's in August 2013. Can i switch? I have previous uk work experience on a work permit issued in 2004 but i left the country after a year with another job. Since 2005 I have had several visit visas and the last one was a ten year visa expiring 2020.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You will see from the following link that Tier 4 visa nationals are permitted to switch in to Tier 2 General under certain conditions:-
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/switch-to-this-visa

You will see that Tier 4 is listed under the heading "Eligibility.

You will further see that switch from Tier 4 is permitted only if you hold one of the following qualifications having received it from your Tier 4 visa:-
a UK bachelors degree
a UK masters degree
a postgraduate certificate in education
a professional graduate diploma of education
Please see the heading "Switch from a Tier 4 or other student visa" for confirmation of this.

So, if you were previously on a tier 4 visa to study a degree in the UK and you obtained that degree then you can switch.

If you did not study here to obtain your degree then you have not obtained a qualification from a Tier 4 visa. In these circumstance you would either have to wait until you have obtained your masters degree from your current Tier 4 visa OR apply from outside the UK.

I assume that because you have held a previous visitor's visa from 2010-2020 that you have obtained your degree outside the UK and must therefore either wait until you obtain your masters or apply from outside the UK.

Kind regards,

Tom