Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
28732269

Hello Sir/Mam, I have received My decision letter today in

Hello Sir/Ma'm, I have received My decision letter today in which my visa application for further stay has been refused. I had right to appeal but it expired on 30th August, 2013. The decision was made on 14th Aug, 2013. I have signed the royal mail delivery today. My question is in this scenario what is the best thing I can do to get at least 20-30 days to sort everything out and go back ? I have a car which I need to sell, an apartment for which I have given notice to the landlord today. Is there any way this can be done?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are the dates that you have stated correct? You have stated that you received the letter today\yesterday but that it is dated in Aug 2013?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, the dates are correct. I have received it yesterday because it was sent to my old address which I forgot to change with the UKBA which was my mistake. So when decision was made it went undelivered and i think its a signed delivery so it went back to the UKBA office, but then 3 weeks ago I changed my address as i was concerned why it is taking so long then I got the decision yesterday. In the mean time I did try to ring them but it went on voicemail. I did try to communicate with them by email too. But I think they only responded by post. And unfortunately I received it yesterday only. It was a signed delivery.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Basically, when the UKBA reject an application where a person’s leave has already expired they generally give them about 28 days to leave the UK.

The fact that you have not actually received it until now is – the UKBA will argue – your own fault because you are under an obligation to keep the UKBA aware of your residence.

It’s unfortunate, but if they were to actually find you then you would be detained an issued with removal directions.

However, if you have signed for the Royal Mail delivery only today then it will take a few days to a week for them to actually realise that you have signed it. From then they then have to pass the matter to the relevant department dealing with removals and then instruct the relavent regional team. All this takes time.

Because it takes time it is pretty unlikely that you will be detained by the UKBA within the next 20-30 days so you will find that you have a sufficient period to tie up the practicalities. I would keep documentary evidence of this to show the UKBA that you are leaving and I would also book at flight ticket so that you can show them you will leave the UK voluntarily.

You should be okay.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Sir, I would definitely leave the UK within 25 days but I dont wanna be get deported. I would have left the UK if I would have received this refusal letter before, unfortunately it was my carelessness. If I book the tickets asap and get ready to go back. What about my passport? My passport is with UKBA only. Shall I phone Ukba and tell them everything what has happened. Will they allow me some time to tie up the practicalities or not? Or will they deport me straight way. I dont want to live like an illegal person. Is there any point in seeing a lawyer and start any legal practice?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I would first make arrangement as to your card/flat and other matters so you are sure you can tie them up quickly.

I would then contact the UKBA advise them of what has happened and when you plan to go. You need to ask them whether they can arrange for your passport to be at the airport on the date you want to travel. They will give your your passport as you leave the airport.

A lawyer is not going to be able to do much different to that in the circumstances.

You will be fine.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This car and apartment arrangement will take 10-15 days. Within thia time period I can book my tickets too. For an example I got my tickets for 15th April then what would you suggest when to phone the UKBA, I can phone them now but I am too worried what if they will ask me to leave straight forward. How I am going to arrange things then. Or what if they ask me to visit one of their regional office and then if I go there they will keep me in their detention center. Please suggest me if I book tickets for 15 th April and phone them on say 10th..will that be fine? I wont seek any legal advice because it sounds sense less. I will do what you will advice me to be honest as I really want to go back without any bad mark on my reputation. Regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I would sort the car/apartment first, then call the UKBA and advise them of the date you wish to purchase tickets for an get them to confirm that your passport will be available to you at that date. Then book tickets.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I have signed it yesterday only, are you sure I will easily have 20 days time before they will try to deport me or will come here to look for me? This is the least thing I want. I will try my best to do the arrangements as soon as possible in a safer way. It might take only 20 days. Just want to feel less worried while doing these arrangements. Regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I would be suprised if it were any quicker than 20 days because of the internal adminastrative things that the UKBA need to do.

Even if you wrote to them explaining the situation they probably would not reply.

You can call them if you like to let them know what you are doing, I would consider doing this...

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But Sir before this you have suggested to do the arrangements first..what will happen if I phone them now and they want me to see them right now and I wont get any time to do any arrangements what so ever.. what do u think about 15 days?? I am only asking a time period only to arrange things and go back. Shall I seek a lawyer for this?? Regards

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

I would start sorting the car/flat out now. You've got to do this whether or not they take a bit more time to attempt to find you.

If you phone them then it's difficult to know how they will react, because the gap of time since the letter is so long. My view is that they may give you perhaps 20 days or so if you tell them that you are booking a ticket and start asking them about how to get your passport back, but you cannot be sure.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! I will keep a copy of this too. I will do the arrangements now. And I will phone them within a week to ask them at which air port they can give my passport back and all.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Yes, good luck.

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.