Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

My mum is a Ghanaian and father Liberian I was born in Liberia

My mum is a Ghanaian and father Liberian I was born in Liberia so now am a Liberian can I change my nationality .
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Can you please tell me:

1) Where do you live now?
2) What is your status in the UK (if any)?
3) Are you asking if you could change your citizenship from Ghanaian to Liberian? Or what, exactly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in UK, I have limited live to remain, From Liberian to Ghanain.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Lawrence.

Please understand that to get a citizenship, you do not have to "cancel" the other one. In other words, if you qualify for Ghanaian citizenship, you do not have to cancel the Liberian one (unless you want to).

Plenty of people have dual citizenship, or even triple citizenship.

To cancel Ghanaian citizenship (if you wanted to), all one has to do is to go to the nearest Ghanaian Embassy/Consulate and ask for this, and one can "cancel" Ghanaian citizenship by signing a few documents.

Under Chapter 20 of the Aliens and Nationality Law which is based on Article 27(b) of the Constitution, one can request citizenship if one is a "person born outside Liberia whose father (i) was born a citizen of Liberia; (ii) was a citizen of Liberia at the time of the birth of such child, and (iii) had resided in Liberia prior to the birth of such child." This requires going to the Liberian Embassy/Consulate and asking for citizenship. They may require proof of lineage in terms of a birth certificate, etc.

Liberian citizenship does not allow dual citizenship so the authorities may request that you void your Ghanaian citizenship as discussed before, but it is on a case by case basis and often, this is overlooked.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.