UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

One of our employees, a uk/mid Eastern joint citizen is currently

One of our employees, a uk/mid Eastern joint citizen is currently on a contract for working 20 hours per week which is all her family has allowed her to work for the past four years.

She is now asking us for a 50 hour contract. This is because she is marrying a man from her original country and who is a member of her extended family.

They are marrying in Afghanistan. She says that in order for him to live in the Uk, she must prove to the UK Government that she can support them both.

We find this all rather dubious and anyway, do not have work for her beyond her current hours.

Is what she proposes a legal process or is it some kind of scam?

We are quite concerned for her welfare especially as it is clearly an arranged marriage.

Thank you for your reply.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that is OK but please indicate how long this will take.

I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you tell me has she worked continually with you for four years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - she has been a student for two years and then an employeed for three years.

Kind Regards.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX looked into this for you but I think it is more of an immigration issue so will move your query to the appropriate section where a colleague should be able to assist. No need to respond in the meantime as it will just send the question back to me.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

She appears to be genuine.

The UK Immigration Rules changed recently and any UK citizen wishing to sponsor a spouse for a UK spouse settlement visa is required to be earning at least £18,600 p.a if no children are involved.

It is also quite common for middle eastern people to marry someone in the extended family.

If you do not have the additional work that she is looking for, you may simply inform her of this. It is her private affair what she does and as an employer, you may wish to ask her if she is okay and voluntarily entering the marriage withoutappearing to be meddling in her private affairs.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your reply and certainly I have asked her if she is OK. She has replied in the affirmative and has accepted that we are unable to offer her 50 hours so she is going to find extra employment elsewhere.

Kind Regards,

Rachel

Please remember to rate the service.