Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi, I have 3 points on my license for speeding, which I

I have 3 points on my license for speeding, which I got few days back. I am planning to apply for naturalisation in 2015. Will the points on my license affect my application for naturalisation?

AK
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

Alex Hughes :

Did you attend court for this or was it a fixed penalty?

Customer:

No, I did not go to the court. They sent me a letter stating the fine which I accepted

Alex Hughes :

OK. Have you been prosecuted for any other offences in the UK?

Customer:

no

Alex Hughes :

This fixed penalty will not affect your application. The UKBA guidance states that caseworkers should not take this into account when considering your application. So long as no further incidents take place then this will not be a problem for you.

Customer:

But isnt fixed penalty only applicable when a police officer stops you. I got flashed by a speeding camera. or is that a fixed penalty as well?

Alex Hughes :

A speed camera offence is a fixed penalty too. It doesn't matter whether you were stopped by the police or photographed by the camera - it amounts to the same thing.