Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

Hello, Ely. How are you? It has always been my dream

Hello, Ely.

How are you?

It has always been my dream to visit Egypt to see the art of the ancient Egyptians but, quite recently I got a police caution for 'sexual touching', would they refuse me entry into Egypt, now or any other time in the future, because of this?

Also, because I am ashamed of my police caution, I would rather that anyone I may travel with to Egypt (or any other country) will not ever know of it. Could they find out about this police caution when we would enter the country, or any other time?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend,

Thank you for requesting me.

First of all, please understand that I am not an Egyptian-based expert. However, this can still be addressed rather easily.

Egyptian Policy for Visitors
Everyone needs a visa in order to travel to Egypt. UK nationals can receive a visa upon arrival automatically as part of an agreement between UK and Egypt. It costs 15 USD at arrival. Alternatively, you can get a visa pre-flight at In order to apply for a visa, different documents are required according to the applicant’s nationality. For further details, please click here: http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk.

Unlike many countries, UK nationals do not require a "clearance" pre-screening.

Criminal History
Egypt does not ask about criminal history of its UK national visitors since there is no pre-clearance. As a result, this should never come up. From personal experience with UK travelers (yes, really), the Egyptian authorities simply stamp and go for UK and US passport holders.

Finally, this is not even a conviction but a caution. So even if this was to come up (it should not), it should not be an issue.

In summary, this should not come up. UK nationals are normally not asked about their criminal history prior to or upon arrival in Egypt and are not pre-screened like other nationals.

Good travels.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, putting it simply, I will be able to visit Egypt (with a visa), and no-one I would travel with would ever know about my police caution?

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Friend,

So, putting it simply, I will be able to visit Egypt (with a visa)

...right. It is best for someone in your situation to ask for it AT ARRIVAL as opposed to requesting one prior to travel from the local consulate.

, and no-one I would travel with would ever know about my police caution?

Correct. They normally simply stamp and go.

Of course it is best not to volunteer any information, either. So there is no need to say "I have a police caution, am I still okay?" It is simply best to ask for a visa upon arrival, smile, answer a few questions, and go.

Egypt is known to be very lax when it comes to major EU country visitors because they bring in a lot of money into a much-needed economy. You should not even be asked about your criminal history.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate positively and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, Ely!

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then submit – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please reply to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.