UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Im a Canadian citizen with a permanent resident status in

I'm a Canadian citizen with a permanent resident status in Italy (I have a carta di soggiorno), and I am married to a EU national. I was offered a job in Ireland, but the immigration officers at the airport refused my entry into the country on the basis that: 1) my permanent resident status is valid in Italy only 2) in order to be eligible as a spouse of a EU national, my husband must accompany me to Ireland and find work within 90 days. Otherwise, they said I must get a work permit.
I would like to know whether these bases for refusal are valid and what my options are.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You were advised correctly.

Under EU law, your permanent residency is only valid for Italy, not Ireland.

If possible, you should obtain Italian citizenship and an Italian passport as that would give you access to the Irish job market without any restriction under EU free movement of persons and workers rules.

Otherwise your EU national spouse would need to come with you to Ireland and exercise treaty rights I.e work, study or be self sufficient for you to reside and work in Ireland without a work permit.

Can I help further ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. So if those options don't work for me, I would have to get a work permit?

Yes, correct.

All the best