Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

Good Afternoon, I February this year I married Olga Shikolenko

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I February this year I married Olga Shikolenko who is a Russian Citizen in Winchester Hampshire. I am a British Citizen.
She needs to change her surname from Shikolenko to Wedd, (My surname) i from UK n Russia.
The Russians require a document from uk allowing Olga to change her name.
Can you help.
Thanks XXXXX
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

1) Where are you and she currently staying?
2) Do you need to change the document on her Internal & External Russian Passports?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ely

We are resident in Kenya.

Olga is going back to Russia in June for 6 months. She wants to change her Internal and Russian Passport to her New Married Surname as we need this for Living in Kenya and UK.

She has been asked to provide proof that she is Entitled Legally to change her surname.

We are having our Marriage certificate legalized for Russia by the UK Home office.

They require a second document to say she is Legally entitled to change her Surname to Wedd after Marriage in UK.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Dennis.

Understand that Russian bureaucracy is currently in a state of "flux" due to numerous updates and nuances that frequently change. As such, every office/agency may have specific changes/requirements. It often varies on a case by case basis!

Russian citizens have two essential documents - their internal passport and their external passport.

She shaall a translated and apostilled copy of the marriage certificate showing both her new name as well as her old name. Not one, but both old and new. This is important. Several copies are recommended. You will need this from the UK.

She can change this either from abroad with the nearest US Consulate/Embassy, or in Russia. This normally involves two trips:

1) Submission of application and documents, and
2) Coming back up to pick up the renewed passport(s).

While a Power of Attorney is sometimes allowed, it is NOT recommended because Russian consular agents have been known to disregard the POA and refuse to deal with anyone but the applicant.

If she going to do this from Kenya, the first step is to contact the nearest Embassy for an appointment:

Embassy of the Russian Federation in Nairobi:
Address: Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of Kenya, P.O. Box 30049, Lenana Road, Nairobi, Kenya
Phone: +(254-20) 272-87-00
Fax: +(254-20) 272-18-88
E-mail: [email protected]

Good luck!

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ely

UK marriage certificates do not indicate her new Name. It just states that Olga Shikolenko is Married to Dennis Wedd.

We need a document stating she is entitled to change her name to WEDD if she so wishes, or she can be legally referred to as MRS WEDD.

This is what we have been told by the Russian Embassy in Nairobi.

How and What document do we get from UK allowing her to change her name when she does apply to have her Internal and International Russian Passport changed in Russia

.Thanks

Dennis

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Dennis,

Ah, okay.

You see, the Russian embassy is asking for something that the UK government normally does not provide.

In these kinds of cases, what has happened is that a solicitor back in the UK will then often write out a "letter" confirming that under UK law, this is possible. Attached to it they will add a copy of the proper law and another copy of the marriage registration, etc, making a paper trail.

That - even though it would be from a private party - is normally enough to work.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate positively and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.