UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I will be getting married at the end of may in Indonesia. Indonesian

I will be getting married at the end of may in Indonesia.

Indonesian authorities require a letter stating that I am a permanent resident in the UK, and that I intend on marrying an Indonesian national in Indonesia, the letter must also state my religion.

I was under the impression that I would be able to obtain a letter called a 'notice of marriage' from my local registry office.

I spoke with my registry office today to arrange the appointment and they said that they would be unable to provide me with this letter because I am not a UK national.

I am French national (and US) having resided in the UK for 25 years. Is it possible to get this letter from a UK solicitor mentioning my intent to marry abroad to an Indonesian national.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You may apply for British Citizenship as you have been here for so long, and then obtain the notice from your local Registry.

However, the above process could take a few months and if you wish to get married in the next 2 to 3 months, then it may not be feasible to first apply for British citizenship.

You should check with the Indonesians if they will accept a notice or letter from the French consulate or the US embassy in London as the solicitor's letter will not be official authority and may be refused.

Can I help further?