UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am residing in the UK on a diplomatic visa but want to slowly

I am residing in the UK on a diplomatic visa but want to slowly transition out of that job and contribute to the local UK economy by starting an online classifieds/directory business with a UK national as my partner. I do not want to leave my government post until the business has become profitable enough. Eventually, I hope to become a permanent UK resident.

I have spoken with Immigration who, after reviewing my visa, stated I am not permitted to work or start a business in the UK. Further, if I want to change my visa status, I must leave the country and apply for a different visa type. Is there any way possible for the business to be setup - whether through my UK national partner, myself, or both of us as a partnership - that would not violate the terms of my visa? I am even open to off-shoring if necessary.

Looking forward to any advice you have to help me turn this dream into a reality!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You are not allowed to be employed or self employed in the UK but there is nothing stopping you from setting up a UK Company as an investor and becoming a shareholder and director of it. Even a visitor or an overseas person outside the UK may do that.

If your spouse is British, you should apply for a spouse settlement visa from outside the UK from your home country which will entitle you to work and live in the UK.
See here for the procedure for this visa application

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Can I help further?