UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been told my partner and I can get married on the marriage

I have been told my partner and I can get married on the marriage visitor visa (she is frm Venezuela) and she could take the required English test and then have to go back to apply for permanent visa to join me. However looking on the Marriage visitor visa she can't study to take or even take the english test on that visa? or apply for another visa e.g spousal visa? (https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa)

Would it be better to take the test in a different country and then apply for fiancee visa or can we apply for marriage visitor visa , get married, take english test and apply to stay with me all in the UK?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid you seem to have been wrongly advised.

The marriage visit visa is where the parties marry in the UK but do not intend to live in the UK and return back to their country after getting married in the UK.

The correct visa should have been a fiancée visa. If she is currently here, she would need to return back home and apply for a spouse visa from her home country provided she meets the conditions to qualify e.g. English, financial conditions etc.

Can I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response! You have confirmed my concerns and at least now we can proceed correctly and not be caught out at a later date.

She is currently back in Venezuela , so she takes the English test and then apply as per the fiancee visa as we always intended to.

Many Thanks

Yes, correct.

All the best