UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have been living with my girlfriend who is brazilian at the

Customer Question

I have been living with my girlfriend who is brazilian at the moment for 4 years in Spain,at the end of July she will be getting her Spanish nationality. Her son who is 27 has been living with us for 3 years and I am going to adopt him as he has never had a father. Sorry forgot to say I am British from birth and have lived in Spain for 12 years. My girlfriend married a.British man approx 8 years ago but he left her and returned to the uk so she is getting a divorce and next year we are getting married hopefully in the uk.can we get a visa so my adopted son can live and work with us in the uk. We are thinking of living in the uk due to the fact I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's. Could you help us with this matter? Kind.regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

In the UK, you can only adopt a child under 18 and who is not married. It may be different in Spain but you cannot adopt your girlfriend's son in the UK.

As he is an adult, he will need to qualify in his own right for UK residency, perhaps by him also getting Spanish nationality so that he can live in the UK freely and exercise treaty rights here I.e work, study or be self sufficient.

The other option is for him to apply for an EEA Family Permit if he is financially dependent on his mother and she has Spanish nationality.

See here for the procedure for applying for an EEA family permit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eea-family-permits-eun02/eea-family-permit-eun02

May I help further?