UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My partner of 4 years and I thinking of entering civil partnership

Customer Question

My partner of 4 years and I thinking of entering civil partnership in UK.
I am german and lived previously in Uk 1989-2006. we both now reside outside UK and EEA countries.my partner is from a non EEA country.
what are the steps for us to enter in civil partnership?do i have to reside in Uk first again or can we both travel to Uk and apply for registration etc? what visa is he required to apply for to enter Uk with intention of civil partnership?
do we need to prove cohibiting with bills, financial statements etc?
there is so much info out there , that I find it very confusing
appreciate your help or recommendation who to contact
thank you
J
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

What nationality is your partner and how long have you lived with him?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HI

my partner is from The Philippines. we have lived together here in Singapore since 4.5years

Your partner needs to apply for an EEA Family Permit provided the following conditions are met:

The EU citizen intends to exercise their Treaty rights in the UK (employment, self-employment, study, self-sufficient, etc)
The couple must be able to show documentary evidence of cohabitation in the most recent two years
The couple must be travelling to the UK together or the EU citizen should already be in the UK

Once both of you are in the UK, you may enter into the civil partnership. See here for the requirements for giving notices

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/overview

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

due to laws in singapore discriminating same sex partnerships , i was not able to get my tenancy agreement amended to show both of our names. I rented the apartment first and he moved in later. so proof of cohabitation is only through phone and tv bills am afraid.

my intention to exercise my treaty rights are proven in me accepting a job offer before I travel to UK ?

am I able to get a residence permit card despite i left UK 8 years ago (bearing in mind I lived there 17years prior ) or is that not really necessary.i mean me having employment offer would be sufficient?

cheers

Hello Josef,

Please open a new question asking for UKSolicitorJA only to answer and I will be happy to answer your further questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

for UKSolicitorJA only to answer :

Josef,

Utility bills are fine in both names, as much evidence as possible should be gathered to show both of you live at the same address, even if not in joint names

Yes, a job offer would be good evidence to show you intend to exercise treaty rights in the UK

You do not need a residence card, but you may apply for a new one. Your past residence will not be counted as you have been out of the UK for more than 2 years.

All the best