UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My partner, a Pakistani national, has received a residence

Customer Question

My partner, a Pakistani national, has received a residence permit for 2 and a half years (after almost 4 years pursuing the case with the Home Office).

However, he came into the UK via an agent and therefore has no formal identification i.e passport or National Identity Card. How does he go about obtaining a passport and ID card from the Pakistani Embassy as they are not being helpful and without a passport we cannot get married, he cannot obtain a National Insurance number, etc.

We are awaiting return of his Pakistani birth certificate from the Home Office.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Your Partner should contact a local Pakistani lawyer back home to see what can be done from there as it may be easier to facilitate issue of his passport and ID card from there rather than from here in the UK.

There is not much that a UK lawyer can do as it is a matter for the Pakistani authorities and Pakistan law.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue is that he has never had a passport and left Pakistan before obtaining his National ID card. I seem to keep hitting brick walls and not getting anywhere...

If he has a Pakistan birth certificate and is a Pakistani national, then he should be able to obtain a Pakistani passport.

If the Pakistan High Commission in the UK cannot help, the best bet is for him to try and get the passport from Pakistan.

He may be able to get a travel document to enable him to travel to Pakistan to apply for his ID and Passport from there

http://www.pakmission-uk.gov.pk/HC/ContactUs.asp

Hope this helps please leave feedback