UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am a 72 year old widow without children. I am a British

I am a 72 year old widow without children. I am a British subject. Presently my 34 year old Filipino neice is living with me. She entered the UK in 2009 as a student. As such she works as a part time carer in a local care home. In the 5 year period as a student, she obtained a master's degree in Business Administration. Her student visa expires in October 2014. I would like to get Home Office permission to adopt her legally so that I have a family member living with me at home especially at night. What action should I take to obtain permission from the Home Office to allow her to stay in the UK when her visa ends? My neice is single and has a degree in Engineering from the Philippines.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid you cannot adopt her as she is an adult and over 18.

She may look for sponsorship as a tier 2 worker if she wishes to continue living in the UK, but she will need to qualify in her own right, you cannot sponsor her.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And what is tier 2 worker?

It is a work permit which allows her to work in the UK if she finds an employer who can sponsor her for the permit, see here

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

All the best, ***** ***** feedback