UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Greetings, I am a US citizen who intends to study in the

Customer Question

Greetings,

I am a US citizen who intends to study in the UK next year at the London School of Economics and have already received my CAS number for use in my Tier 4 (General) student visa application.

Simultaneously, my US citizen same sex partner is attempting to transfer to London with his large multi-national company and would receive a Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer) visa if/when the secondment is approved by the company.

My partner and I have been together for 3 years but have only been living together for 1.5 years. If his secondment is not approved, he would stay in the United States while I go to London for the 1 year program.

A few questions about this situation:

1) Should I claim my partner on my tier 4 application at all? There are sections asking a) who is traveling with me and b) my marital status.

2) If he is granted a Tier 2 (ICT) visa, would I be able to convert to be a dependent on his visa after I complete my studies and be able to work in the UK?

3) As we are applying separately- me for a Tier 4 and him for a Tier 2, what is the best way to declare our relationship to minimize confusion later? We would not want to be seen as trying to hide anything in our applications.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I was also at LSE. Welcome to Houghton Street.

I would respond to your queries as follows

1) if you are not married and not travelling with your same sex partner, the answer would be single and no to both these questions

2) yes, this would be possible if you were to marry him in the UK eventually, same sex marriages are allowed in the UK

3) no need to declare it at present. If you get married later on, then you can declare it for any future applications.

You are both making separate and different UK visa applications which is why my advise would be not to declare it.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your advice.

I have now been granted a Tier 4 (General Student) visa.

My partner is applying for his separate Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa as well.

Will I be able to switch to be his dependent from inside the UK at a later date? I understand this now may be possible due to a switch in immigration rules as applicants formerly had to leave the UK and apply from their home nation.

Thanks so much.

Yes, you may switch from within the UK at a later date, the form to use is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/324621/T1_2_or_5_Dependant_Form_-_07-14.pdf

The forms change regularly so you should check that you are using the correct version when you eventually apply.

All the best