UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My Country was a British Colony until 1966 when we got Independence.I

My Country was a British Colony until 1966 when we got Independence.I was born in British Guiana in 1960, my parents were born in Guyana when it was a British Colony.My mother left Guyana in 1971,I saw her again 20 years later in 1991 when I visited her I visited my mother thrice, (she became a British Citizen in 1978)during my last visit in 2002 she suffered a heart attack and was hospitalised,during the period she was recuperating I overstayed, subsequently she suffered 2 more Heart Attacks.In 2004 she died. leaving me as an Executor to her Estate which was problematic(financial,structural and disputed).I only managed to sell her flat in 2012.l made an application outside of the Immigration Rules and was refused.Based on Human Rights, Don't I have the right to remain,since I was born in a British Colony? Thanks In Anticipation.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

I am afraid you do not have the right to reside in the UK simpy, because you were born in a British colony. You became a Guyana national on that country's independence in 1966.

You may appeal against your refusal if you have the right to appeal, otherwise you may lodge a new application with evidence of why you should be allowed to reside in the UK outside the immigration rules.

May I help further?