UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My mother (87 years old) was granted a settlement visa to join

My mother (87 years old) was granted a settlement visa to join me and the Indefinite Leave to enter in 2010.

Her Visa expires in September 2014 because her passport expires. She is not going to travel anywhere. We are taking care of her. Do we need to apply for an extension of the visa?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The good news is that as soon as she entered the UK, her indefinite leave to enter visa became an indefinite leave to remain visa, so there is no need to apply for any extension for her.

If she receives a new passport, all that needs to be done is for the old passport with the ILE visa to be carried or stapled together with the new passport.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I understood you correctly we actually don't need to do anything as my mother practically has got an ILR though there is an expiry date of her Visa in the passport.

Yes, correct. The expiry date is simply linked to the expiry date of the passport but her indefinite leave to remain continues....indefinitely. It would only be lost if she left the UK for more than 2 years.

All the best