Ely
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
7286322

Hi, I got married in morocco, and need a copy of my marriage

Customer Question

I got married in morocco, and need a copy of my marriage certificate without going to Morocco, I live in UK. Any advise on how to get this?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

The Annexe du Ministere des Affaires Etrangeres issues marriage certificates in Morocco, and should have a copy. The way to contact this agency/department is:

Annexe du Ministère des Affaires Etrangères
Zankat Tetouan
Hassan, Rabat
Tel: 0537-76-61-02

They will mail it if payment for processing is forwarded.

However, Moroccan bureaucracy is deep. As such, a French or Arabic speaker is recommended to call so as to get the details of what is required (what application if any, or simply a letter, along with what payment) to be sent.

Almost every time, they can send this by mail. If not, a local attorney may be needed to acquire the certificate, and you can find a list of English-speaking attorneys here.

However, this may be handled without an attorney if the Annexe du Ministere des Affaires Etrangeres is simply willing to mail the proof.

Good luck!

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** issue out another copy, would that mean my wife has to sign as well?

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

They would typically issue a copy of the already signed and stamped certificate, and not one to be signed anew.

Only one of the spouses needs to typically request it (if this is what you meant).

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate positively and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last questions.

Do you know how long the delivery will take to UK?

What is the cost of 1 certificate order?

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

I do not know how long it would take, I am afraid. Keep in mind Morocco is not as modern as Western Europe. Bureaucracy is not as dependable. It may take a few days, a few weeks, or a few months. You can ask when you call Annexe du Ministère des Affaires Etrangères. Also expect to be transferred to several different offices before finding someone that will help.

I am sorry, but I do not know the cost.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried this number and no one is picking up the phone. Is there any solicitors in uk that can get my marriage certificate on my behalf?

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Any solicitor in the UK is likely to work with the same agency in Morocco. But yes, anyone with international law/bureaucracy experience can likely be of help. They would likely then send a written request on your behalf in French and/or Arabic.

Experts are not allowed by the site's rules to refer you to specific solicitors or barristers, however.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You said the following:

What if they ran out of the the copies?, because I remember they took 2 copies signed papers.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

While I cannot speak for a Moroccan government agency, I can tell you that someone asking for proof of a certificate is certainty not unusual. They almost certainty will have a copy, and if not, then they will likely produce a substitute document that would do the job, affirming the time/date of the marriage.