UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi.thanks for you advice about my case ,I just want to ask

Hi.thanks for you advice about my case ,I just want to ask you how I apply for British passport with my 5 years residence without applying for ILR and do I have to apply with a solicitor or by my self and which application I need for this .please can help with more details as I need to know more about the steps I need to follow.
many thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, it would be advisable to get a solicitor to assist you with any applications to the Home Office.

You would qualify for Permanent Residency (PR) automatically (you do not need to apply for a PR card but you may do so, it as optional) after 5 years in the UK subject to the following conditions:

You can apply for a permanent residence card after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.

All the following must apply for you to be eligible:

• you’ve lived with your European Economic Area (EEA) family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period (and not left the UK for more than 6 months in any year)
  • your EEA family member has been a worker, self-employed, self-sufficient, or student throughout the 5 years

The above appears here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-residence-card/permanent-residence-card

In your case, as your partner obtained british nationality afterwards, you may scontinue on the EEA route as above.

At the point that you obtain PR by law, you would be eligible to apply for British Citizenship straight away without any waiting period as you would be married to a British Citizen and would have lived in the UK for more than 3 years.

Hope this clarifies