UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Indian passport renewal and visas

Customer Question

I have an Indian passport, live in the UK on Tier 2 sponsored by my employer. I have a valid US visa, and Schengen visa. Due to lots of international travel, I am running out pages on my Indian passport which is valid till 2016. I need to get a new passport so that I can continue travelling - primarily for work. My question is 1. Can I still travel with a new Indian passport and carry my old passport with valid US and Schengen visa? 2. Do I need to report my new passport to UKBA so that I can travel back to the UK? I'd greatly appreciate your advise as I am travelling to the US very soon, and will be returning back to the UK in a week. Many thanks in advance.

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You must carry both your old and new Indian passports together as the visas for the UK, the US and Schengen are valid and remain valid even if you get a new passport.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

So, let me understand it clearly....

I will be applying for a new Indian passport. When the new Indian passport arrives, I will be travelling to the US, and to the Schengen area using my valid visas on the old passport. The new passport will be used by immigration authorities in these countries to stamp my arrival and departure. When returning back to the UK, I will be presenting my Tier 2 biometric card and the new passport.

Is this understand correct? I don't need to report my new passport to the UKBA (Note: my Tier 2 is a biometric card, and not a sticker visa on passport).

Yes, your understanding is correct and you do not need to report your new passport to UKVI (formerly known as UKBA).

All the best