How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Indian passport renewal and visas

Customer Question

I have an Indian passport, live in the UK on Tier 2 sponsored by my employer. I have a valid US visa, and Schengen visa. Due to lots of international travel, I am running out pages on my Indian passport which is valid till 2016. I need to get a new passport so that I can continue travelling - primarily for work. My question is 1. Can I still travel with a new Indian passport and carry my old passport with valid US and Schengen visa? 2. Do I need to report my new passport to UKBA so that I can travel back to the UK? I'd greatly appreciate your advise as I am travelling to the US very soon, and will be returning back to the UK in a week. Many thanks in advance.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
You must carry both your old and new Indian passports together as the visas for the UK, the US and Schengen are valid and remain valid even if you get a new passport.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

So, let me understand it clearly....

I will be applying for a new Indian passport. When the new Indian passport arrives, I will be travelling to the US, and to the Schengen area using my valid visas on the old passport. The new passport will be used by immigration authorities in these countries to stamp my arrival and departure. When returning back to the UK, I will be presenting my Tier 2 biometric card and the new passport.

Is this understand correct? I don't need to report my new passport to the UKBA (Note: my Tier 2 is a biometric card, and not a sticker visa on passport).

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
Yes, your understanding is correct and you do not need to report your new passport to UKVI (formerly known as UKBA).

All the best

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
< Previous | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
  • UKSolicitorJA's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    English solicitor with over 12 years experience
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
  • Alice H's Avatar

    Alice H

    Solicitor Advocate

    Satisfied Customers:

    Partner in national law firm

Related Immigration Law Questions